Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Is integration good for everyone?

In the month of February as we commemorate Black History, I thought of something very profound. I thought about a question that Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. himself asked. Is integration good for everyone?
Growing up as a child of the seventies, integration was seen as the panacea that would cure all of our ills as a race. We would be able to attend the same schools and live in the same neighborhoods as our Caucasian brothers and sisters. That's a good thing, right? I'm not a historian, but I know that many of us did better in places like Greenwood, Tulsa, Oklahoma known as Black Wall Street.
I came to the conclusion that integration without opportunity is worthless. Many of us could attend the same school or live in the same neighborhood without the same opportunities that other people have.

1 comment:

  1. I'm wondering what opportunities were/are not extended to you now in this point in time. Also, is being a Handicapped African American a double-whammy?

    ReplyDelete