Thursday, September 17, 2015

Giving thanks on a granular level

Many of us give thanks for the big things in our lives. The promotion, the new home or car. Are we thankful for the things that most people take for granted like our health? I was thinking about a song by Donny Hathaway called Thank You Master For My Soul and I began to think about all of the things that went into each event in my life on a granular level.
I went to a presentation last evening with a friend of mine. No big deal. It wasn't until I started to think about all of the things that could have made the trip have a less than favorable outcome.
I thought of all of the turns that I made that could have been wrong turns. Nothing major. Just a wrong turn. I thought about how this comparison applies to our lives as well. I think about all of the decisions that we've made on a small, seemingly inconsequential level which have added up to what we have now, which we call our life.
The thing that is more amazing is the amount of control that we have over these small things. Think about it. That's within your control too.

No comments:

Post a Comment