Sunday, August 9, 2015

Music as Medicine

There has been much talk in the news and articles written about the benefits of cannabis for pain management. As Geoffrey Holder said in the 7Up commercials from the seventies, "Never had it, never will!"
I've never tried it, but what I have tried is music. Although it isn't as popular as a news topic, much has been written about the benefits of music to alter your state of mind. Exhibit A is my thirty years as a mobile DJ. People are willing to pay good money to have their minds altered musically!
I have always known the intrinsic value of music and there are songs that are tied to significant events in my life. I can't hear the song Sunburst by Lonnie Liston Smith without being reminded of my prom.
Music is my drug of choice and it isn't illegal in any of the fifty states. I use it to improve my state of mind whenever I need to. There is no chance of overdosing either. If you do, I guarantee that you'll survive. Reminds me of the song Love Hangover by Diana Ross.

No comments:

Post a Comment